OH HELLO // VENOMOUS SNAKE ENCOUNTER

| on
1:37 PM

Lately I've been sparsely online, but I have slivering good reason...

Firstly, I'd like to start this post by saying I love snakes (and reptiles in general), am pretty familiar with them and use to have an awesome ball python as a pet named Clyde (thanks to my cousin Peter).  I do think snakes are better off in the wild, and generally they don't care to interact with people, but this last week my daughter was bitten by a venomous snake in our own back yard playing barefoot soccer with family, and lets just say... my week (and hers) was anything but ordinary.  I also got a heck of a quick education in anti-venom, hemotoxin / neurotoxin, and an overview of the 6 venomous snakes of Georgia.  So 2 ambulance rides, an ER, 3 days in ICU, and 10 anti-venom vials later... we know that she's going to fully recover, and heal.  :)

In the last 5 years I have found 5 copperhead snakes in my backyard, and removed them (for some reason, snakes seem to gravitate to our yard).  Here's one of the adult copperhead's I have found:



Also found out that there are a lot of kids in Georgia getting bit by venomous snakes according to the Pediatric Doctors at the hospital, something I've never heard reported on the news.   Think I notice them more after a lot of rain during the summer months.  The very day we returned home from the hospital, my hubby and I went snake hunting in our backyard, and yep, found another snake, but this one was a baby, and I'm almost certain it was a king snake (non-venomous), so of course I let him go.

The lesson in all this???  don't play soccer barefoot and if you get bitten by a snake just call 911 and let them figure everything else out.  Also no need to know how to spell venemous venomous if you have spell checker, yea! 


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature